The Forum is a multi-disciplinary research and academic event which provides a platform for design, discussion and implementation of research-backed and action-oriented projects on sustainable development with a focus on the needs of the Central Asian region.
About Sustainable Development
On 25 September 2015, the UN General Assembly adopted 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 Targets to end poverty, protect our planet, promote peace, and ensure prosperity for all. All states, including Central Asian states, supported this initiative to achieve SD goals by 2030 and improve the quality of life in Central Asia for the current and future generations. The ultimate success of the SDGs depends on solid collaboration and partnership among all concerned actors: United Nations, governments, policy-makers, civil society, business sectors, local communities, as well as universities and researchers.
The Third Central Asian Research Forum on Sustainable Development and Innovation provides a platform for ambitious researchers from Central Asia to present their cutting-edge and action-oriented research projects on Sustainable Development, discuss them with concerned partners, and forge partnerships for future implementation.
Aims and Objectives of the Event
The Forum’s aim is to provide a platform for design, discussion and implementation of research-backed and action-oriented projects on sustainable development with a focus on the needs of the Central Asian region. The Forum’s objectives include:
- Identification and engagement in a result-oriented discussion of key stakeholders in the UK and the Central Asian region: researchers, PhD students, investors, universities, governmental decision-makers, etc.
- Providing an opportunity for PhD students and researchers to present their cutting-edge research projects on sustainable development
- Securing support and provisional funding from Central Asian investors and governments for implementation of presented SD projects
- Discussion of establishment of potential working groups/think tanks for further collaboration and cooperation among stakeholders in the UK and Central Asia on SD projects.
Forum’s Expected Outputs:
- Design and adaption of research projects aimed at sustainable development in Central Asia
- Securing pledges from Central Asian governmental representatives to commit to implementation of SD projects presented at the Forum
- Networking and creation of working groups/think tanks with participation of researchers, investors, governmental policy-makers and university representatives
- Promotion of UN’s SD Agenda.
Wider Expected Benefits
For Central Asian countries:
- long-term political stability and democratization of the Central Asian region
- promotion and fostering of local investment to SD projects
- improvement of life standards for the population of Central Asia
- positive international publicity as UN members promoting UN’s Sustainable Agenda.
- Opportunity for PhD students and established researchers to present their projects to a wider audience and get feedback from experts in various fields
- Opportunity for young researchers to implement their projects for the benefit of communities in Central Asia
- Networking with potential sponsors of their post-PhD projects
- Forging collaborations with other researchers, academics and universities
Wider global impact: potential replication of Forum’s results and outputs in other developing regions.